Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Hello??

Wow.

My last post was on July 30.

I began my 30 day challenge on April 1o.

I'm a bad person.

Honestly I have been so busy the past few months that I never made time to sit down and talk about everything that's going on. Here's a quick recap.

1) I started working at Pier 1 Imports in July. It gets me out of the house and is generally a fun place to be. Sometimes I feel really dumb though because I feel like I'm not using my degree at all. Also, I hate working Sunday nights to set out holiday items.

2) I'm up to 5 flute students now. One of my favorite students is 69 years old. She just decided this fall that she wanted to learn the flute and man, is she dedicated. She does absolutely everything I ask her to do and she is progressing so quickly! Also, today in our lesson, she brought me freshly baked homemade bread. I'm eating it right now with butter and honey. Delicious.

3) I started working at an accountant's office last month. One of my dear friends/high school tennis coach offered me a job doing data entry and payrolls for his office. Honestly, it's much more stressful than I thought it would be and I feel really stupid most of the time, but I'm learning new things every day. The hours are really flexible so I can work around my teaching and Pier 1 schedules pretty easily. I'm working a lot between all three jobs so I'm constantly busy. I feel like I'm never home, because I really am not.

4) I have become a gym rat. Before I started working so much, I was going to the gym 4-5 times a week going to various classes. Right now I try to go 3 times a week and it's fun! I finally feel like I'm getting some muscle tone and I feel much better about myself.

5) My Grandma Hazen passed away two weeks ago. Even though I was really sad to lose my Grandma, I was relieved that she wasn't suffering anymore. She was diagnosed with cancer back in February and although she fought really hard for a long time, the cancer finally overtook her body. She wasn't herself at the end, didn't want to see anyone, wouldn't eat, couldn't see, etc so I was relieved to hear the news that she had passed. My grandpa is lonely, but he seems to be doing ok.

6) I applied for the position of Principal Flute of the Utah Symphony. It's only my dream job. No big deal. I was so nervous to send in my resume and I still am. I won't know if I get an audition until sometime next week I think. They have to review all the resumes they get sent in and decide who they want to hear from first. The audition is in February and there is easily three hours worth of music on the list. I feel like everyone expects me to win this, but no one (outside the music world) really understands how competitive it is to win an audition. I don't want to let anyone down, but I don't really have anything to lose by doing it. I have a lot of practicing to do.

7) My puppy is still adorable. She is almost potty trained, but for some reason loves to have accidents in the dining room with white carpet. Of course. Here is a picture to prove her cuteness.
That's all for now. I will try to post more often, but I make no promises.

3 comments:

  1. yay a post! So glad to hear all of those things, I worked at pier 1 for a few weeks at christmas a few years ago and i loved it! It definitely had it's ups and downs but i loved finding everything a "home" and just enjoyed the atmosphere. that's so awesome about the 69 year old you are teaching lessons too, how fun and good for her! Good luck with your audition that is so exciting, you'll do great :) and I'm sorry to hear about your grandma, but good she's not suffering anymore. I love seeing you on sundays every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have so many jobs!!!!! gurl, youre a trooper. love you. and that pup. and your family. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello darling! It's so good to have you back! She works hard for the money - so proud of you. What classes are you taking at the gym? My time at ZUMBA was probably the most awkward experience of my life (and considering some of the dates I've been on, that's saying something). The people with the Utah Symphony would be FOOLS not to audition AND hire the youngest member of the 2006 Salt Lake Winter Olympics Pep Band, just like the fools at the Santa Barbara School District. Sending you all my happy thoughts! So Jay and I have 3 events to attend in Utah this winter - that means I definitely get to see you in a couple months!!!

    ReplyDelete