Saturday, September 11, 2010

Where were you?

On September 11, 2001 I went to school just like any other day. While waiting for the first bell to ring, my best friend Hilary came up to me and said, "Did you hear what happened? A plane flew into the world trade center, they think it was terrorists." So began a day that I will never forget. I sat in my first period class (Mr. Elzey's freshman biology class) and instead of doing our usual "bird, the word, and the barometer", we sat glued to the television. I remember watching the second plane hit the other tower, watching one by one as each tower fell, and being horrified at how someone could deliberately take away that many lives. Each class I went to we watched the news. The administration even put tv's in the hallways so that no one would miss a second of what was going on. After school I had a tennis match and I remember that there was such a different feeling towards my opponents. I don't remember who I played, or even if I won, that wasn't so important that day. In the days following, I remember there being such a sense of community and pride for our country. Everyone put aside their differences and were simply Americans. Nine years have passed since that fateful day, and somehow we've forgotten that feeling of togetherness that we felt immediately after the attacks. I sincerely hope that it won't take another tragedy to come together again. May we never forget the sacrifices made for our fellow Americans on that day and the sacrifices that our service men and women continue to make so that we can maintain the freedoms that we enjoy. God bless America.

1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking about that this morning. The news was on at home and I wasn't sure if it actually WAS the news or some weirdo show that my mom so happened to decide to watch. Such an eerie feeling. Thanks for posting this, Ali. Love you!

    ReplyDelete